- ***A Gold Star Award for the cover of Bread for the Table*** - October 2, 2017
- 3 Reasons I Want To Thank You For My Bad Review Plus Unicorns and Rainbows - September 13, 2017
- My novel’s cousin is The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls!!! - July 24, 2017
- Bring It On…and I don’t mean in that cheer kind of way! - May 6, 2017
- Two Haute Chicks Book Club - May 5, 2017
- What not to do… - March 24, 2017
- Bread for the Table Giveaway! - March 13, 2017
- Do you like a paper copy of a book or an ebook? - December 27, 2016
- Bread for the Table Book Trailer - December 27, 2016
- Show Off Your Work - December 26, 2016
Today I received an email that said my my novel was full of figure language, and the reader could not recommend it.
Unfortunately, I have sent out many emails and copies of my novel and I have not written all of this down. (Self-corrected now)
I emailed back “Who is this?”
The reviewer identified their name and said I could email back if I wanted a more specific answer, they might provide it.
I read my review and did not understand the word figure language. Now I have been out of writing classes for twenty years, so it is possible that I am ignorant about figure language. I again sent another email asking is figure language was really figurative language. I am an 8th Grade English teacher and I always teach figurative language. Students need to use it and I need to teach it. Yes, she liked the term figure language better.
Lastly, she told me other writers who use significant figure language. “Two authors who write heavily figured language that I like are Mary Gaitskill, Veronica, and Michael Chabon’s Moonglow. Not everyone I know likes that much figured language, but Chabon’s book is a best seller, so some people like it.”
I am impressed that my book is a book cousin to Michael Chabon’s. I mean it made my day and I walked on clouds. Thanks very much. Some days you have to take it any way you can get it!
“Keep writing and getting feedback. I’ve learned to enjoy the challenge. Otherwise the critics will drive you nuts.”